What Is A First Aid Kit?
A first aid kit is a collection of tools and items that can be utilised when providing help to a sick or injured person. First aid kits should be accessible for all employees in a work environment and it is advised that everyone has a basic first aid kit in their home to treat any illnesses and injuries that do not require more serious medical attention.
Why Is A First Aid Kit Important?
An accessible, well-stocked first aid kit is extremely important for making sure that you’re able to quickly deal with any minor injuries or accidents that occur. Having an accessible first aid kit can provide peace of mind too, as you know that you have the correct equipment on hand to help someone who needs it.
What Should Be Included In A First Aid Kit?
Here is a simple list of what you should always ensure is well-stocked within your first aid kit and what these important items are used for:
- Plasters and bandages: Plasters are essential for dealing with small cuts and grazes. They prevent any dirt and bacteria from entering the wound. Bandages are used to hold wound dressings in place and to create pressure to stop bleeding from a wound.
- Wound dressings: Wound dressings are essential for encouraging and stimulating wound healing. Wound dressings are typically sterile pads or a form of compress.
- Disposable gloves: Disposable gloves are a must for protection against infection between yourself and the person who is injured. These gloves are essential when dealing with open wounds and bloody grazes as well as when dealing with any waste or body fluids.
- Guidance leaflet: A guidance leaflet is valuable so that those who are using the first aid kit understand what pieces of equipment they need and how to use them in a certain situation.
- Eyewash kits: An eyewash kit contains all you will need to flush out any irritating foreign substances that have accidentally got into the eyes.
- Burns care kits: A burn care kit contains all that you may need to relieve pain in the event of a burn injury. There will also be items that can soothe the pain, protect the wound from infection and keep it clean.
- Scissors: Scissors are valuable for cutting bandages and plasters to size to fit the wound. It’s important that the scissors are strong enough to be able to cut through clothing if necessary to reach a wound.
- Antiseptic cream: Antiseptic cream is essential for soothing and healing wounds. It can be used on cuts and grazes, sunburn, rashes and insect bites to relieve pain and promote healing.
- Painkillers: Painkillers, including paracetamol and ibuprofen, are valuable for relieving pain post-accident or injury.